arla rpms for redhat 6.0?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz+ at cmu.edu
Fri Apr 30 07:12:52 CEST 1999

> In message <19990429172741.15259.rocketmail at web214.mail.yahoo.com>, Jim
> Nance w rites:
> +-----
> | or something like that.  When I install it here I put
> | everything under /usr/afsws because thats where our
> | AFS stuff is on our transarc supported platforms.  If
> | Red Hat ever ships arla as part of its distribution I
> | am sure they will try to package it up in accordance
> | with where the FHS says they should go:
> | ftp://ftp.pathname.com/pub/fhs-2.0.tar.gz
> +--->8
>
> Which will break the world:  unless an AFS-aware program comes out of
> Andrew (old = /usr/andy, new = /usr/local) it assumes /usr/afsws, largely
> thanks to AIX.

I think you mean "/usr/andrew"; AFAIK only things/people who explicitly
wanted prerelease software used /usr/andy.  I also don't know what AIX
has to do with it - Transarc's documentation has been recommending the
use of /usr/afsws for many years.  Personally, I think that's silly;
AFS programs should be someplace like /usr/local, not in yet another
directory that people have to add to their path.

I've also seen people insist on looking for programs in /usr/vice/bin,
though I know of no precedent for putting them there...

-- Jeff