arla rpms for redhat 6.0?

Jim Nance jim_nance at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 29 20:44:10 CEST 1999

--- Alex Martin <A.J.Martin at qmw.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>                 I was intending to produce an
> updated set of RPMS for
> arla-0.23/RH 6.0 once we have a system setup here,
> however,
> this is not likely to be before next week now, so if
> you want to
> take my existing spec files and update them, which
> should
> be trivial, please free to do so.

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for being willing to do this.  Before you
start I want to complicate your life :-)  I have
looked
at the rpms referenced on the arla web page.  I
believe
that they unstall most of their files under
/usr/athena
or something like that.  When I install it here I put
everything under /usr/afsws because thats where our
AFS stuff is on our transarc supported platforms.  If
Red Hat ever ships arla as part of its distribution I
am sure they will try to package it up in accordance
with where the FHS says they should go:
ftp://ftp.pathname.com/pub/fhs-2.0.tar.gz
    Obviously I want you to build the RPMS to install
everything under /usr/afsws and everyone at MIT will
prefer /usr/athena.  Since you are making the RPMS,
you get to decide where they go, but that probably
means someone else will need to make another set.
    Here is my suggestion.  Lets figure out where
everything would go on a FHS compliant system and
make the RPMS put arla into those locations.  Then
we can make another set of RPMS which installs
symlinks for compatability with particular "styles"
of AFS instalations.  With this scheme I for example
would install the arla rpm and the
arla-transarc-compat
rpm.  Someone else might do the arla rpm and the
arla-athena-compat rpm.  I think we can build all the
-compat rpms out of the same .spec file that builds
the arla rpm.
    Any comments?

Thanks,

Jim