fs sysname

Magnus Ahltorp map at stacken.kth.se
Mon Apr 26 00:05:17 CEST 1999

> well, i guess that since arla uses i386_linux6 and transarc's client uses
> i386_linux2 (for kernel 2.2.x) user specified sysnames could be usefull..
> why is arla's different from transarcs? i assume the 6 is because of
> glibc?

I'm the one responsible for that. :-)

Since the sysname is supposed to decide what binaries will be used,
the thing that's important is the major libc version. Besides, we had
a 2.1.x/2.2.x version many months before they did.

You can choose your sysname yourself, but the default will stay
<arch>_linux6 for glibc systems and <arch>_linux5 for libc5 systems. I
have never compiled arla on libc4, so I haven't made a test for that,
but the name would be <arch>_linux4.

/Magnus
map at stacken.kth.se