arla 0.12 has missing modversions.h

Geoffrey Alan Washburn gw2 at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Sep 30 23:41:27 CEST 1998

On 30 Sep 1998, Magnus Ahltorp wrote:

> datan> tar ztf linux-2.0.34.tar.gz linux/include/linux|grep mod
> linux/include/linux/module.h
> linux/include/linux/modules/
>
> This is also true for the latest 2.1 kernel.
>
> linux/modversions.h is created by Makefile if CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is
> defined.

	Okay, I suspected as much.  Upon further inspection, in xfs_locl.h
  we have:

#ifdef HAVE_LINUX_MODVERSIONS_H
#define MODVERSIONS
#endif
#include <linux/version.h>
#include <linux/module.h>

  Now an obvious immediate fix that could be applied is to include
  linux/modversions.h between the #ifdefs, after the #define.
  HAVE_LINUX_MODVERSIONS_H shouldn't be defined if you don't have it, so
  this won't cause any problems for the people that haven't compiled their
  kernel with CONFIG_MODVERSIONS enabled.  However, when browsing through
  linux/module.h if found the following:

#ifdef __GENKSYMS__
#  define _set_ver(sym,vers) sym
#  undef  MODVERSIONS
#  define MODVERSIONS
#else /* ! __GENKSYMS__ */
# if defined(MODVERSIONS) && !defined(MODULE) && defined(EXPORT_SYMTAB)
#   define _set_ver(sym,vers) sym
#   include <linux/modversions.h>
# endif
#endif /* __GENKSYMS__ */

	Apparently, if everything is defined correctly linux/module.h
  should include linux/modversions.h for us.  However, I don't know enough
  about the kernel to what know the right way to do this or currently have
  the time to figure it out, so hopefully someone else will enlighten us.
  In the mean time, the fix I mentioned above should at least allow those of
  us using MODVERSIONS to compile without modifications.

--
- Geoff Washburn
- http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~gw2/