Chunk size?

Artur Grabowski art at stacken.kth.se
Wed Sep 16 11:38:43 CEST 1998

Dr A V Le Blanc <LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk> writes:

> I gather from what documentation there is, that arla does not have
> a chunk size as AFS does, but that entire files are transferred
> and cached.  Is this true, or are large files broken up into
> chunks?  If so (or if not) is there a limit to the amount that
> can be transferred at once?  Can this be configured?

The limit is the size of your cache.

> Secondly, there is with Transarc AFS the possibility of having
> the cache entirely memory resident (if you have enough memory,
> and if that's what you want).  But arla does not seem to be
> able to do this.  Would this be a difficult alteration?

Yes. To do that we would need to implement our own read and write operations
in xfs and when we do that we can also implement caching of partial files.
Right now there are no plans to do that.

On many systems you can have you cache in a memory based filesystem (mfs).

//art