Chunk size?

Love lha at elixir.e.kth.se
Wed Sep 16 10:47:07 CEST 1998

Dr A V Le Blanc <LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk> writes:

> I gather from what documentation there is, that arla does not have
> a chunk size as AFS does, but that entire files are transferred
> and cached.  Is this true,
> or are large files broken up into
> chunks?

Whole files. (The simple way)

> If so (or if not) is there a limit to the amount that
> can be transferred at once?  Can this be configured?

Your cache size limits the files you can edit.

> Secondly, there is with Transarc AFS the possibility of having
> the cache entirely memory resident (if you have enough memory,
> and if that's what you want).  But arla does not seem to be
> able to do this.  Would this be a difficult alteration?

The simple way (on *BSD) is to have the cache in mfs.

Xfs doesn't really do any read/write operation by it self, so you would
have to implemement those. Then the memory need to be writeable (in some
way) for arla to store the files in. Guess it could get messy. I dont
see any quick way of doing this right now.