@sys in /afs directory on arla-0.13 works ?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at kf8nh.apk.net
Thu Oct 22 03:16:27 CEST 1998

In message <lv13e8hjwg6.fsf at yakko.stacken.kth.se>, Magnus Ahltorp writes:
+-----
| > In Transac AFS on linux, this  @sys is interpreted as
| > i386_linux2 and works well, like as follows.
|
| In arla the sysnames are as follows on Linux i386:
|
| (i386_linux4 (libc4, not tested for))
| i386_linux5 (libc5)
| i386_linux6 (libc6)
|
| I think it's much more intuitive to number the sysnames after the libc
| version, and not the libc incarnation.
+--->8

It may make more sense, but it's not what the rest of the AFS world is using
so it's a problem when talking to existing AFS installations with existing
linux-afs clients.

FWIW we're using i386_linux2 for libc5, i386_linux2g currently for libc6,
but we're going to switch to i386_linux3 when the "official unofficial"
glibc linux-afs port comes out (it will use i386_linux3 for glibc2/libc6).
I'm not overly fond of it, but it's what I have to live with.

brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery at kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering					 KF8NH
carnegie mellon university