Infinite Recursion

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at kf8nh.apk.net
Tue Nov 3 03:07:51 CET 1998

In message <Pine.LNX.4.05.9811022035210.171-100000 at pyridine.res.cmu.edu>,
Geoff
rey Alan Washburn writes:
+-----
| 	Here at CMU we have a volume called OldFiles mounted in our home
|   directories that is basically a periodic backup of the files in our
+--->8

AFS backup volume.

|   home directory.  I was just noticing that if I do an 'ls -lR' in my home
|   directory when it's mounted via Arla it will attempt to infinitely
|   recurse down this directory.  This doesn't happen with the Transarc AFS
|   client.  Interestingly enough, 'find' doesn't recurse down it at all.
+--->8

The "OldFiles" mountpoint is itself duplicated in the backup volume, thus
creating a self-referential mount.  The Transarc client disallows this, but
Arla sees nothing wrong.  I suspect Arla should detect that a mountpoint
references the volume containing the mopuntpoint and disallow it, just as
the Transarc client does.

brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery at kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery at ece.cmu.edu
carnegie mellon / electrical and computer engineering			 KF8NH
			  Kiss my bits, Billy-boy.