Cache Manager

wwshen@eecs.umich.edu wwshen at eecs.umich.edu
Fri Mar 20 05:18:25 CET 1998

Hi Guys,
    THanks for your prompt replies. Your kindnees has helped
and will continue to help me to understand AFS and your imple-
mentation. Now let me ask you some general questions about
your implementation.

   1). Which directory do you implement the cache manager? arlad?
   2). As a cache manager, it needs to call RPC of the server to
       get the file or directory and get a callback(where). At the same
       time it need to provide the interface of RPC which is provided
       to server(I notice the functions are defined in cmcb.c but
       there are only three functions and according to "AFS-3 Programmer's
       Reference: File Server/Cache Manager Interface" section 6.5.5
       some functions such as RXAFSCB_GetCE.. are missing?).

   In addition, I am not clear about the callback. A cache will be
given a callback when it gets a file but when another client gets
this file and closes it while the former client is using it. The
server will revoke the file on the former client before it accepts
the modification. But I am not clear what happens to the client
still using this file. Will the server ignore all the modifications
and close made by the former client??? Of course another open on
the same file on the client will get the new version.

   Sorry to ask you so many simple questions. Thanks again.
best,
wuwei

PS. Could you add me to your mail list? Thanks.