FreeBSD 3.0 and Arla-0.20, and changes in FreeBSD 3.0

assar@stacken.kth.se assar at stacken.kth.se
Mon Dec 28 18:59:15 CET 1998

Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk at wam.umd.edu> writes:
> Alright, FreeBSD 3.0 can't load Arla-0.20's LKM. I don't know why, it just
> gives me a bunch of error messages, and dies. I would send you what errors
> I'm getting but I want somone on this mailing list to verify the problem.

Try today's snapshot
<ftp://ftp.stacken.kth.se/pub/arla/snap/arla-1998-12-28.tar.gz>, it
should work on FreeBSD 3.0 and send us the errors you get if it
doesn't work for you.

> Also, for Assar, and the other developers of arla, FreeBSD 3.0 is moving
> to KLDs in 3.0.1. That means that LKMs will still load, but most likely
> with all the other changes in this release, will not work. Thanks

Yeah, we know. :) Today's snapshot has support for building LKMs or
KLDs (a.out or elf).

(ObComments on KLDs.  Apart from such funny things as the ability to
load ELF klds in a.out kernels and vice versa, there's no good way of
figuring out what cdev major number we got assigned, so there's a
printf there.  We would really like to have something like `modload
-p' to create the device node automatically.  And having the kernel
panic on you when you have unresolved symbols in your KLD is somewhat
... unfriendly.  Apart from that, not much was different and it wasn't
that hard to get them working.)

/assar