bad inode number: 0 / xfs_syscall returns error: 0

Chris Chiappa griffon at lumberjack.snurgle.org
Fri Dec 4 14:42:05 CET 1998

On Fri, Dec 04, 1998 at 12:46:38AM +0100, Magnus Ahltorp wrote:
> What happens with the operations you do on /afs? Do they succeed, fail
> or hang?
This is bizarre.  Previously the commands were "succeeding" but not
returning anything, for instance an 'ls -a' would immediately return showing
no entries (including neither . nor ..).  However, I just reloaded arla and it
appears to be working now ?!  Very bizarre considering there wasn't even a
reboot in between.

> > Dec  2 18:23:22 KeyserSoze kernel: EXT2-fs error (device 08:12):
> > ext2_read_inode: bad inode number: 0
> This is not very good, but should not cause any big problems. You
> might have to switch to normal filehandling instead of xfs file
> handles. But, I need more information from you on the above question
> first.
Indeed you're right, and it appears to only happen when looking in /afs .

On an unrelated not, it appears that the arla-drinkers archive hasn't been
updating in about a month.  Is this a known problem?

Well, thanks for the help, sorry to give a false alarm.

--

! Unspoilt by progress         /    http://www.snurgle.org/~griffon   |