AFS or DFS (off topic - sorry)

Bjorn.S.Nilsson@nbi.dk Bjorn.S.Nilsson at nbi.dk
Thu Dec 3 17:45:57 CET 1998

Hej Karsten.

>At Aalborg University, Denmark, we do consider to introduce AFS as our
>strategic backbone, but is AFS the right choise? It seems, that many
>is moving toward DFS, but I can't find any article, which compares
>these products. Is AFS dead? How does AFS/DFS compare regarding
>expenses? Our platform is mainly Solaris, Linux and Windows 95/98/NT.
>
>Anyway - if anyone have any clue in one or the other direction, then
>please mail me in private (as it is offtopic fot this list) and I will
>bring a summary here (if there is any interest).

Since Transarc (owned by IBM) is producing both the commercial AFS
and DFS I think they will "decide" what the right choice is:-) Anyway,
at CERN in Geneva one has decided to stick to AFS for the foreseeable
future. As far as I understand DFS works OK between computers on iden-
tical platforms, but there are some interplatform problems still to be
resolved. A slide-show that points out some of the problems found by
an Italian DCE/DFS working group can be viewed at
http://www.ts.infn.it/computing/htasc/
Although this is more than a year old I think it is still interesting.

I hope you find this information relevant,

Björn

Bjorn S. Nilsson          Email:             Bjorn.S.Nilsson at nbi.dk
Niels Bohr Institute                or just  nilsson at nbi.dk
Blegdamsvej 17
DK-2100 Copenhagen        Phone:             +45 35 32 52 83
Denmark                   Fax:               +45 35 32 50 16