patch to fix symlink-related GPFs on Linux

Aaron M. Ucko amu at mit.edu
Wed Aug 5 19:50:47 CEST 1998

Magnus Ahltorp <map at stacken.kth.se> writes:

> > I can't unmount /afs either before or after killing arlad.
>
> This is "normal". This is due to the xfs_cache module (it keeps a
> reference count on all cached nodes). The unmounting sometimes works
> when killing arlad, but obviously it doesn't work for you. I'll maybe
> look into it some day, but I cannot say Linux 2.0 is very high on my
> priority list. You or someone also maybe wants to have a look at it?

While I'd certainly be willing to help track this down, I probably
won't be able to until September, as I'm going to be offline at home
until then. :-(

> > Programs sometimes have trouble finding their current directories if
> > they aren't world-listable.
>
> This is also due to, or maybe I should say, in spite of, the cache. As
> the cache size approaches infinite, the problem frequency should
> approach 0. This problem only exists with Linux 2.0, since the inode
> numbers must be (in some sense) "correct" for getcwd to work (because
> of that horrid method of doing getcwd).

Ah, that makes sense...especially, if I understand you correctly,
since I cleared the cache before testing.

> I will try to look into some of these things now that I have come back
> from my trip to France.

Thanks.

--
Aaron M. Ucko, KB1CJC <amu at mit.edu> (finger amu at monk.mit.edu)