I'm very curious to see what you will make of Emacs

ulf.landgren@knowit.se ulf.landgren at knowit.se
Thu Dec 27 12:12:54 CET 2007

http://www.douglasp.com/blog/2007/12/27/EmacsNet.aspx

Hi,

Emacs.Net? Emacs was great, the best thing that happened when editing
code on non-grahical simple ASCII-terminals. Other Editors where line
oriented, but Emacs let you walk up and down the page with ctrl-u and
ctrl-d, erase the rest of the line with ctrl-k etc. and you could record
or write macros in lisp.

But with Windows. I don't miss much of all that. (Except perhaps ctrl-u
and ctrl-d...)

So why Emacs? To get back the enthusiasts that also prefer runtime
errors in dynamic languages instead of compile time errors in strong
typed languages? ;-) (But it is true, Microsoft must not become the
boring company that IBM once turned into, that's for sure.)

I have only been using Emacs, but there were a bunch here in Stockholm
at "Stacken" that once wrote an Emacs compatible editor in Pascal they
called Amis. However that was close to 30 years ago so I'm very curious
to see what you will make of Emacs.

   Ulf Landgren