OpenSSL server - FreeBSD/Ubuntu

gorhas gorhas at raditex.nu
Wed Feb 3 20:14:25 CET 2021

Yes... I am a little bit vague - since I don't fully understand what is
going on.

I have a OpenSSL-server and a OpenSSL-client. The client are sending
"binary" data to the server with SSL_write and the server is receiving
with SSL_read. I am using a function call like

no_bytes = SSL_read(ssl, ssl_buffer, SSL_BUFFER_SIZE);

This works suprisingly good. I always get a full buffer. If I run the
application on the local network between two machines, i get exteemly
good performance. If I run from our IoT devicd I get not so good
performance. This is expected since this is connected by a BG95 (mobile
module). But the problem is that sometimes the packet rate slows down
and sometimes it comes to a halt.

Since I am using high level calls like SSL_read/write I have not mutch
use of tools like tcpdump, strace et.al. since I can't influence the
packet flow from the high level api:s.

Since the data I am transfereing is about 5MB (a sound file) I belive
that the network provider (Telenor) have som kind of "trafic shaping" in
action. And I don't understand how I can investigate this.

This is a rather important application for me (commercial) and if some
wants to cut in and investigate the problem please let me know.

// GH

email: gorhas at raditex.nu  mobile: +46 70 5530148