AFS and 'afs' URI scheme

Mykyta Yevstifeyev evnikita2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 16:51:20 CEST 2011

Hello all,

I am writing to request some information regarding AFS and its current
implementations.  I hope this is the right list to ask.

So my question is whether the latest versions of current AFS
implementation still use 'afs' URI scheme.  The 'afs' URI scheme can be
found mentioned as reserved for further standardization in RFC 1738
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1738) dated December 1994, but there is
no any definition of the scheme's syntax/semantics.

Currently the 'afs' URI scheme is registered by IANA as Provisional with
reference to RFC 1738.  In the previous year there were some some
discussions in the IETF regarding what should be done with it.  However
there was no consensus on any actions; two were proposed - move the
scheme to Historical category or remain it as is.  I'd like to hear the
opinion of AFS experts.

Thank you in advance,
Mykyta Yevstifeyev