arla and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Ryan Schmidt arla-2010b at ryandesign.com
Sun Apr 18 14:06:02 CEST 2010

We have a port for arla in MacPorts, but it hasn't been upgraded past version 0.35.11. In trying to upgrade it to 0.90 today, I ran into many problems. Beginning at the beginning:

checking for readline... no
checking for tgetent... no
configure: error: Could not find tgetent, needed by edit/editline

Looking in the config.log:

configure:7162: checking for tgetent
configure:7190: /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -o conftest  -DKERNEL -D_KERNEL -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Kernel.framework/Headers -static -DDIAGNOSTIC -DUSE_SELECT -DMACH_USER_API -traditional-cpp -traditional-cpp  -DKERNEL -D_KERNEL -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Kernel.framework/Headers -static -DDIAGNOSTIC -DUSE_SELECT -DMACH_USER_API -traditional-cpp -traditional-cpp -L/opt/local/lib -flat_namespace conftest.c     >&5
ld: library not found for -lcrt0.o
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:7190: $? = 1

I believe the fault here is the following lines of your configure.in:

  case "$nnpfs_target" in
    darwin[[789]].*)
          ;;
    *)
	  KERNEL_CPPFLAGS="${KERNEL_CPPFLAGS} -traditional-cpp"
	  CPPFLAGS="${KERNEL_CPPFLAGS} -traditional-cpp"
	  CFLAGS="${KERNEL_CPPFLAGS} -traditional-cpp"
	  ;;
  esac

As I understand it, -traditional-cpp is an old flag. I assume your intention with these lines is to use that flag on darwin 6 (a.k.a. Mac OS X 10.2) and earlier, and to not use it on darwin 7 (a.k.a. Mac OS X 10.3) and later. The problem is that the current version of Mac OS X is 10.6, a.k.a. darwin 10, so it's getting the -traditional-cpp flag when it shouldn't. Perhaps reversing this check would make the most sense:

  case "$nnpfs_target" in
    darwin[[123456]].*)
	  KERNEL_CPPFLAGS="${KERNEL_CPPFLAGS} -traditional-cpp"
	  CPPFLAGS="${KERNEL_CPPFLAGS} -traditional-cpp"
	  CFLAGS="${KERNEL_CPPFLAGS} -traditional-cpp"
	  ;;
    *)
          ;;
  esac

I encounter several other problems after this, so perhaps I should just leave it at this for now and ask if you intend for arla to work on Mac OS X at all these days. If you do, I'll be happy to share my further problem reports with you.