CVS checkout && build on FreeBSD8

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 6 01:48:43 CEST 2010

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009, Emmanuel Vadot wrote:

>> I've a nooby problem to checkout the CVS, what is the password !! ??
>>
>> I've tried also to build arla-0.43 and 0.90 on both freebsd 7.2 and 8.0,
>> but the same error accurs :
>>
>> checking if vnode_if.h needs to be built... configure: error: tried
>> creating vnode_if.h but still could not include vnode.h Did I have
>> misreading something ?
>>
>> PS: this is a second try in doubt ;)
>
> The password is anoncvs I think.
>
> I have a patch somewhere for the vnode_if.h error but remember that arla
> doesn't build nor run or freebsd > 5.5.

(catching up on an old thread)

I got Arla working on FreeBSD 7.x without too much trouble a couple of years
ago, and at least some of my patchs made it upstream.  I'd expect someone with
a bit of AFS/Arla + a moderate amount of FreeBSD kernel experience could get
it working in a couple of days.  The main changes of note in the FreeBSD 8.x
kernel from 7.x are a move to variable-size group lists in credentials (which
tripped up OpenAFS recently), and a move to read-locking of vnodes during read
I/O (also tripped up OpenAFS recently).  The tricky part is not so much
getting it working on FreeBSD, as coming up with upstreamable patches and the
right configure parts, I think.  nnpfs is a quite decent framework for doing
this sort of thing.

Robert