Arla on Windows

Bo Brantén bosse at acc.umu.se
Sun Sep 28 16:58:26 CEST 2008

Hello,

I decided to try Arla on Windows so I thought I write and say how it went.
The latest precompiled binarys I coud find was Tomas Olsson from
2004-06-15 in ftp://ftp.stacken.kth.se/pub/random/tol however they worked
well, I could browse and read files in stacken.kth.se and some other
places. The installation was rather easy but there was a few issues that I
report here.

- The load program didn't enter the full ImagePath in the registry so I
had to do that manually, not an issue if the driver is in
system32\drivers.
- The README says to copy arla.conf, CellServDB, and DynRootDB to
c:\cygwin\usr\arla\etc however one aditional file is needed: ThisCell
- The README says to start arlad with the command
arlad -D -n -d nnpfs --debug=init
however that gives the error message:
Assertion failed: kern_cur != NULL, file
/afs/stacken.kth.se/home/tol/src/nt/arl
a/arlad/kernel.c, line 390
instead the command in the shell script 'a' worked better:
arlad.exe -D -n -d winnt --port=4711 --debug=init

Anyway after this it worked but I would like to ask you if there is any
ongoing development on the Windows version and any newer binaries
available?

Also I tryed to compile arla 0.90 myself in cygwin and this is how it
went:
- first compile and install heimdal 1.2.1 that worked with no problem.
- arla configure don't find heimdal without with-krb5=/usr/heimdal
- I must manualy enter #define HAVE_TERMIOS_H in include/config.h
- I must create a link in /usr/include to ifaddrs.h somewhere in
/usr/heimdal.
After that it is possible to compile arlad and the tools except for one
error: unknown_subr.c and subr.h missmatch and calls one undefined
function, I just comment it out for now and the arlad built.

When starting this version of arlad and using the old driver it gives this
error message:
2008-09-28 15:21:55 WEST: arla: kern_open winnt: No such device or address
So I guess it doesn't find the device file?

Compiling the driver nnpfs with the DDK gives many errors that I havn't
looked into yet, thought I shlould as you first where the work stands
right now.

Bo Branten