Patches to get Arla running on FreeBSD 8-CURRENT

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 23 17:21:18 CET 2008

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, Alec Kloss wrote:

> All of the heavy lifting is done in the big patch at
>
> 	http://setfilepointer.com/pub/arla/20080223-arla.diff
>
> This was generated by taking a current snapshot from arla's CVS, applying
> Robert's original patch, and then adding a handful of fixes of my own.  The
> jist of my changes are autoconf corrections, and one test for
> NNPFS_DEBUG_PRIV which is undefined on -CURRENT. There's a general autoconf
> problem running around that a few tests require -Werror to work correctly
> some can't have -Werror to work correctly.

Sounds great, although PRIV_NNPFS_DEBUG should be defined on the most recent
-CURRENT; I added it last week, so if you're running a slightly older
-CURRENT, that could be why.  I believe I also MFC'd to RELENG_7 but it won't
make FreeBSD 7.0.

> I've run the "-all -fast" tests which don't cause any major issues on
> RELENG_7 and -CURRENT, but I do seem to be able to panic 6.x with those
> tests.  More testers and feedback would be appreciated.
>
> Can anyone from Arla comment on the chances for incorporating these patches
> into Arla itself?  It'd be nice to have these changes in Arla itself prior
> to submitting the port to FreeBSD.
>
> And, can anyone comment on need for the arla port to include 0.43, which
> works on FreeBSD 5.x?
>
> Robert, thanks so much for your time.  I owe you (at least) a beer.

No problem at all -- this is something I've been meaning to do for years, and
I'm very pleased all the pieces are coming together :-).

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge