FYI, 0.43 and 0.90 build problems on Fedora7

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Mon Jun 11 03:47:59 CEST 2007

I tried both, both failed similarly.  For 0.90:

1. On a new install of Fedora 7, neither 0.43 nor 0.90 will
successfully configure.  They leave behind large numbers of meta
references to libraries, e.g.:

LIB_com_err = @LIB_com_err@

The following gross hack takes care of the problem just for the
moment:

#!/bin/sh -x
find . -name Makefile | xargs grep -l @LIB.*@ | while read M ; do echo $M ; sed -e 's/@LIB_\([^@]\+\)@/-l\1/g' < $M > $M.ERR ; done
find . -name Makefile.ERR | while read M ; do m=${M/.ERR} ; echo $m ; mv $m $m.libERR ; mv $M $m ; done

2. There is no <kafs.h> in the include subdir, but one can be picked
up from a nearby kerberos package.

3. It fails to detect HAVE_OPENSSL, which can be manually fixed in
include/config.h before make.

4. Due to not having detected OPENSSL, builds fail due to lack of
linkage against -lcrypto, also manually fixed in Makefile, for these:
        appl/amon       appl/afsutils        appl/pts
        appl/fs         appl/afstools        appl/perf
        appl/vos        appl/bos

5. The "tests" directory has many failures to link because of similar
needs for -lcrypt, -lcrypto, and ../lwp/liblwp.a.

6. tests/write4.c needed
typedef unsigned int uint32_t;
in order to compile, due to <kafs.h>'s use of that type.

Once I got through these hurdles to build it, it runs fine in the
stock F7 2.6.21 kernel.