kalog does not work in arla-0-44-branch (+workaround)

Tomas Olsson tol at it.su.se
Tue Jan 16 13:27:11 CET 2007

> > The proper fix is probably to remove kaserver support entirely.
>
> Why? The logic for setting HAVE_OPENSSL in the configure script is
> just broken

Actually, we have three separate problems:
1) HAVE_OPENSSL. Should be fixed, hopefully already done in HEAD, albeit
   the cheating way.

2) The Arla developers don't use kaserver things, so it doesn't get tested
   and thus tends to break.

3) kaserver uses an old, weak protocol, and the code hasn't been worked on
   for ages.  As you saw, the OpenAFS page makes a good argument for
   deprecating it.

There are dependencies here, 3 leads to 2, and with milko currently not fit
for fight kalog is the only in-tree user of openssl and des.h is kalog
(IIRC).

In HEAD kalog is disabled unless one defines KASERVER_SUPPORT, but I won't
knowingly break it.  Patches are of course still welcome.

thanks
        /t