healthy installation on os x does not connect at some locations

Anton Grigoriev tfsangr at fy.chalmers.se
Fri Sep 29 13:41:12 CEST 2006

Thank you very mach, Harald!
It was very useful.

What I found is that
1) If I can connect to pdc, then I have response on rxdebug towards
sculpin like
AFS version:  OpenAFS 1.4.0 built  2006-03-06
otherwise I have no responce
get version call failed with code -1, errno 0

2) I never have any response backwards, i.e. from lise to my Mac
7001 , even if I can connect to afs.
get version call failed with code -1, errno 0
2.a) I will change that at home via opening 7001 in OS X firewall
_and_ setting appropriate NAT rule in the router.  Still, I do not
(yet ) see the effect on connectivity. It works without a client.

3) I have a) UU firewall ??? b) department's firewall c) OS X
firewall. d) more firewalls???
NB the setting called 'location' is always the same so computer
thinks it is in the same place, but with DHCP, so that IP is different.
My OS X firewall is set to reject udp in stelth mode. Changing this
does not change connectability.
3.a) System administrators are payed for being paranoid. For this
reason all laptops at my dept are connected OUTSIDE of the dept
firewall, so that they will not kill the system inside.
This leaves the Q if anyone at UU can mount afs from pdc. It also
could be that OS X firewall feels the change off location somehow ...
Ore there is yet another firewall in between. I will find out.

Sincerely

Anton