healthy installation on os x does not connect at some locations

Tomas Olsson tol at it.su.se
Thu Sep 28 14:12:48 CEST 2006

Anton Grigoriev <tfsangr at fy.chalmers.se> writes:
> I can successfully (and rather fast) connect to pdc.kth.se from iBook
> OS X 10.4.7 from home ADSL. I get /afs network folder and my homedir
> at pdc, can copy files, read files, etc. However it fails to connect
> from work.

My guess is that there is a firewall blocking the ports that AFS uses (udp
7000-7003 or so).  You could try running /usr/arla/bin/rxdebug against
those ports on some interesting hosts (like {anna,lise,houting}.pdc.kth.se)
to see if you get any packets through at all.  Try rxdebug at home or PDC
and compare results.

Not all hosts use all of those ports. 7001 is the default port the client
listens to, to receive notifications about changed files on the
server. That one can be changed on arlad's command line using
'--port=<number>', the others are server ports and don't change.

> Sep 27 12:04:34 AntonG3-2 arla[281]: Failed to contact any db servers
> in cell pdc.kth.se (154)

Ask your sysadmin if they could open up ports 7000-7003 in the firewall.

/t