Arla on FreeBSD 5.5

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Sep 18 22:54:28 CEST 2006

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 10:18:19PM +0200, Gernot Hueber wrote:

> >>The 6.x issue is more tricky, due to that the vfs/vnode locking behaviour
> >>changed. I had a loadable nnpfs.ko, but access to the /afs/* ended in a
> >>kernel panic due to a locking issue...
> >
> >Yes, I got OpenAFS to build and appear to install happily on FreeBSD 6.1,
> >but also had it panic - or more specifically just freeze - the kernel
> >when I attempted to do anything with a directory or file.   It started
> >to complain about the lock and froze.  I presumed that was the same
> >reason Arla marked as broke on FreeBSD 6.xxx.   I wish I knew more
> >about it and could fix it, but really don't know enough.
>
> From my experience the OpenAFS server works on any recent FreeBSD whereas
> the client never did or at least not stable.

Hmmm.   I have had some people say they had OpenAFS going on
versions previous to FreeBSD 6.xxx.

This was definitely the lock thing that was failing this time.

Anyway, I am glad I could get Arla going on something, even though I
had to scrounge another box and put an older FreeBSD (eg older than 6.2
even though 5.5 is officially up-to-date for the 5.xxx track) on it.

////jerry