arla fails on NetBSD/sparc64

david l goodrich dlg at dorkzilla.org
Wed May 17 19:34:26 CEST 2006

On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 09:08:18PM -0500, david l goodrich wrote:
> I thought i had resolved the arla instability problems on sparc64 by
> adding -O0 to CFLAGS.
>
> This is not the case, unfortunately.  Arla failed on sparc64 again,
> with the following three error messages:
>

> Cannot find any db servers in cell 165(dsrw.org) while getting data
> for volume `root.afs'
[snip]

> comments: there are three DB servers in dsrw.org, and they all seem
> to have been up the entire time.  another computer running arla (i386
> hardware) on the same subnet (dsrw.org is split between two
> locations, connected by vpn) is still happily chugging along.

[snip]

I was able to clear up the "Cannot find any db servers in cell"
error by adding all the database servers for dsrw.org to arla's
CellServDB.  The same error message occurred on a NetBSD/i386 3.0
machine, and was solved in a similar fashion.

If database servers need to be listed in /every/ client's
CellServDB file, what is the point of AFSDB records in DNS?
  --david