arla 0.42 on NetBSD/vax 3.0: success

Jonathan A. Kollasch jakllsch at kollasch.net
Tue Jun 13 02:49:35 CEST 2006

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 07:56:56PM -0400, Love H?rnquist ?strand wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> > For no real reason I've tested Arla on NetBSD/vax 3.0.  Included is the
> > fixes to get lwp/process.vax.S to assemble with the current toolchain
> > and fix some function name changes.
> >
> > (I should note that this is the first time I've modified VAX assembly
> > code, the fixes were based on the syntax of the .S code in NetBSD.)
>
> So the removal of _ from symbols is ELFification, right ?
> I cmmited a slightly diffrent patch using the ELF macros.

I'm not sure, that could be, getting it to link with what
it needed to was my goal.  I had tried the syntax
(the ENTRY() thing) used in the NetBSD code, but it was
failing, because it wasn't defined, I see that you included
lwp_elf.h so, perhaps that's what I was missing.

> > Also, configure (which took over a half hour) made one or
> > two mistakes that I just overrode manually in config.h.
>
> What probelms ?

The one I sort of remember was something like the
in-kernel memcpy wasn't detected by configure, but
when compiled it failed because it was getting redefined.

When I decide to do this again I'll be sure to get this
kind of thing written down.  At only 60MHz w/ 16MiB RAM
it can be somewhat painful.

> > In the hour or so that I've tested this (only in read mode) I've
> > not had any problems.
>
> There is a test suite in tests/
>
> You run it like this:
>
> cd tests/ ; env WORKDIR=/path/to/rw/dir ./run-tests -all -fast

Ok, I'll try that sometime.  FWIW I did get tokens and
did a few touch(1)es.

> Thanks for testing,
> Love

	Jonathan Kollasch