Arla 0.42-RC2

Harald Barth haba at pdc.kth.se
Wed Aug 23 03:07:34 CEST 2006

> > So here we have the problem: pthread_cancel wants to use dlopen to
> > load libgcc_s.so.1. But by the time it calls dlopen, this file is
> > hidden by chroot.

I did encounter that earlier (on some sort of Linux) but did not
remember to document it (write it on a webpage so that it can be found
by google ;-) or do something else about it. Shame on me.

>>(...)

> I don't quite agree, I understand that I have to set up a full chroot
> environment if I want to exec new programs and stuff, but to have to
> do it also for chroot isn't very nice. If nothing else, it makes it a
> lot harder to use chroot in portable server programs portable, since
> the set names of the files you need to copy into the chroot can be
> very different between systems.

I agree with you. I don't know if there is some solution for the
linker to figure out that a) pthread_cancel wants to use dlopen
and b) dlopen is in libgcc_s.so.1 and should therefore be loaded
at the beginning of the program.

> (...) arla needs some
> workaround for the problem.

Can we call some pthread_whatever before the chroot and
force a load earlier?

Harald.