Arla 0.42-RC2

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Wed Aug 23 01:16:07 CEST 2006

On Aug 22, 2006, at 17:09 , Tomas Olsson wrote:

> nisse at lysator.liu.se (Niels Möller) writes:
>> I don't quite agree, I understand that I have to set up a full chroot
>> environment if I want to exec new programs and stuff, but to have to
>> do it also for chroot isn't very nice. If nothing else, it makes it a
>> lot harder to use chroot in portable server programs portable, since
>> the set names of the files you need to copy into the chroot can be
>> very different between systems.
>>
> True. I doubt it is at all possible to figure out what is needed.
> libraries
> can probably be figured out, but the complete set of files and helper
> programs accessed is... "tricky".

It's already difficult:  nss modules, iconv modules, potentially pam
modules, on Solaris you need some magic network-related
devices, ....  SUS2 is correct in stating that it's not portable at
all.  If you want to use chroot, expect pain.

As such, it'd probably be smart not to have arla use it by default;
make it an option, let whoever's packaging it for a distribution do
the legwork if they want to use chroot (that's their job anyway).

--
brandon s. allbery     [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]
allbery at kf8nh.com
system administrator  [openafs,heimdal,too many hats]
allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering, carnegie mellon university
KF8NH