error npfs on compilation

Tomas Olsson tol at stacken.kth.se
Thu Mar 10 08:43:41 CET 2005

Gessy Caetano <listas_gessy at yahoo.com.br> writes:
> I try install arla-0.38 on Gentoo Linux (Sun Sparc
> Ultra1) for tests and i had a error related with the
> option  '--disable-nnpfs'. Without it, i couln't
> compile but with it, everythings is Ok.

nnpfs is arla's kernel module, the filesystem driver that allows arla/afs
to be mounted and used just like local filesystems. Unfortunately, nnpfs is
very dependent on kernel version and such things. We haven't tried it on a
sparc for a long time, so I have no idea if it should compile straight
away. You do need the build tree for your kernel, for headers and linking
against.

Using --disable-nnpfs is useful to see if the userland parts compile and
work properly. You can play around with the ftp-like afs client "arla-cli",
but without nnpfs you won't be able to mount afs in the normal way.

If you send the error messages, we may be able to help out. What kernel
version do you use?

/t