problems using afsfsperf to measure AFS performance to remote cells

Mike 'Mike' Jones mike.jones at manchester.ac.uk
Sat Mar 5 10:33:34 CET 2005

Hi,

I've managed to install ARLA on a Fedora Core 1 Linux PC
(2.4.22-1.2197.nptl stock kernel) along with kth-krb.  I want to use the
afsfsperf program, as one perspective, to look at the performance of AFS
over long distance networks...

afsfsperf works fine to the two most local cells for which I have writable
volumes.  One cell in the same building the other across the road:
mcc.ac.gb and hep.man.ac.uk.  (ping reports RTT ~< 1ms).

It also has no problem with a cell 250 km (ping: RTT ~= 5.5ms) away:
rl.ac.uk (although I had to use klog from OpenAFS to get a
token, rl.ac.uk didn't like kth-krb kinit from here?!!)

When I try to run afsfsperf to desy.de (RTT~=34ms) I get the following
$ /usr/arla/sbin/afsfsperf -host vayu.desy.de -volume 536903044 -authlevel 3 -cell desy.de -smallrun
afs low-level fileserver performance tester
afsfsperf (arla 0.36.2)
Copyright 1999-2003 Kungliga Tekniska Hgskolan
Copyright 2002-2003 Stockholms universitet
Send bug-reports to arla-drinkers at stacken.kth.se
Perf
host: vayu.desy.de, volume: 536903044, auth: crypt
afsfsperf: RXAFS_GetTime returned 4801

Which, using the fs strerror command translates to "rx - call dead".

I see the same problems testing to the slac.stanford.edu cell (RTT ~= 143ms).

It look like this might be a timeout problem over this distance?  If so,
is there any way I can increase it?

Thanks,
Mike

--