kernel oops under heavy load

Andrew Walters awalter1 at nd.edu
Fri Mar 4 09:32:07 CET 2005

Tomas Olsson wrote:

>>Mar  2 18:36:46 struppi kernel:  [pg0+953183561/1069413376]
>>nnpfs_fh_to_dentry+0xd9/0x180 [nnpfs]
>>

>I think this might be the same thing that Andrew Walters reported on this
>list a few weeks back. You wouldn't happen to have your cache dir on ext3,
>would you?
>
>Anyway, the output from objdump -S nnpfs_syscalls.o (at least the
>nnpfs_fh_to_dentry part) would be interesting.
>
>Thanks
>        /Tomas

If it is the same problem, I believe I figured mine out yesterday.  It
has been up for about 18 hours, much better than five or six minutes.
It was one of three problems:

1. Make install was broken (again from using checkinstall, piece of
crap).  My cache dir was both on my mounted drive and in my arla
directory which is on a reiserfs drive.
2. It is now working on ext2, instead of ext3
3. I bumped up the size of my mounted cache dir from 100 mb to 1.5 gb

One of my attemps to fix it was putting the entire arla directory on the
mounted cache drive and let it use its own arla/cache.  This made it
crash within 3 to 4 seconds.  That gave me the idea that it may be
drivespace because I just cut down the 100 mb for cache to 44.  Right
now my cache dir is only 22 megs, but I would assume it increases and
decreases as I write and read from it.

I get the feeling that it was the last reason, and arla was crashing
when I ran out of space on the drive. However, I really dont know which
fix got the job done. Hope that helps.

Drew