arla on dual amd 64-bit

Mark Ogden ogden at eng.utah.edu
Thu Jul 14 05:43:07 CEST 2005

trying to install Arla on a new dual 64-bit AMD Opteron machine. This is my
config options:

./configure -with-krb4=/usr/local/krb4
--with-krb4-lib=/usr/local/krb4/lib
--with-krb4-include=/usr/local/krb4/include--
without-ipv6 --with-roken=yes --with-roken-lib=/usr/hedimdal/lib
--with-krbafs=/usr/hedimdal --with-roken=/usr/heimdal --wit
h-krb5=/usr/heimdal CFLAGS=-DHAVE_OPENSSL --enable-smp

which always works for me running FreeBSD 5.4 on a i386 machine.
Arla-0.40 (also tried 0.39) shoots out this error during the make
stage:

.. snip ...
ld: nnpfs_message.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 can not be used when
making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
nnpfs_message.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
*** Error code 1

Stop in /afs/arla-0.40/nnpfs/bsd.
*** Error code 1

I am not the good of a coder to be able to try and fix it nor even
know where to start to look.  Any ideas from you guys as to what is
causing this or any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

-Mark