hints for compiling Arla on OS X 10.3

Massimo Marino Massimo_Marino at lbl.gov
Mon May 10 07:46:08 CEST 2004

On May 10, 2004, at 12:32 AM, Keith Johnston wrote:

> Hi Love
>      Thanks for your prompt reply to my querry. I have configured arla
> 0.36alpha3 and added the #undef lines to the files appl_locl.h and
> arlalib.c in
> appl/lib. These files contain #ifdefs for HAVE_KRB5 but I get the same
> error
> messages when I run make.
>      I have also done make clean and make after putting the #undef in
> all of the
> files in appl/lib but still the same result. would it help to get a
> copy of the
> error messages?
> Thanks in advance
> Keith
>

> Quoting Love <lha at stacken.kth.se>:
>

>> Keith Johnston <keith at cs.auckland.ac.nz> writes:
>>
>>> Hi;
>>> 	I am sorry to be asking these questions, but I am not a
>>> programmer and am somewhat  out of my depth and would appreciate any
>>> help that could be offered.
>>> 	I am currently trying to compile arla for OS X 10.3.3 using
>>> and I want to use OS Xs MIT Kerberos. I have installed krbafs (no
>>> crypto) from MIT, I could not configure either arla 0.35.11 or
>>> 0.35.12
>>> from the source tar balls .
>>
>> 0.35.x won't compile on macos, try latest snapshot (like 0.36alpha3)
>> in
>> snap dir on the ftp site. You have to comment out some kerberos 5
>> code that
>> depends on heimdal-isms in appl/lib. Just #undef HAVE_KRB5 in top of
>> those
>> files.
>>
>> Love

Building from source went fine for me with only two changes: add
'#undef HAVE_KRB5' in files:

appl/lib/arlalib.c
rxkad/rxk_serv.c

otherwise was getting compilation errors or krb 5 code. One nicety: I
accessed in Finder my afs account without authenticating first. No
access to files and icons disappearing if clicking on them.
Authenticated on xterm and low and behold the Finder gets notified:
file can be accessed and directory refreshed.

I experienced a couple of kernel panics which did not reproduce
themselves so far.

Massimo