building 0.36pre39 with gcc 3.3

Björn Torkelsson torkel at acc.umu.se
Wed Mar 31 12:53:10 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-27 at 22:28, Tomas Olsson wrote:
> Björn Torkelsson <torkel at acc.umu.se> writes:
>
> > /lib/modules/2.4.25/build/include/asm/system.h:190: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
> >
> Sorry, I won't do workarounds for Linux kernel headers that don't compile
> cleanly. These things change all the time, and besides, -Werror is a Good
> Thing<TM>. Re-issue the gcc line without -Werror and you get through?

Well, it is probably more of a change in gcc 3.3 than in the kernel.

Adding -fno-strict-aliasing (and keeping -Werror) got me through most of
the files. The only exceptions were:

nnpfs_vfsops.c
nnpfs_node.c

Which complains about:

nnpfs_vfsops.c: In function `make_root_vnode':
nnpfs_vfsops.c:147: warning: use of cast expressions as lvalues is deprecated
nnpfs_vfsops.c: In function `nnpfs_read_super':
nnpfs_vfsops.c:217: warning: use of cast expressions as lvalues is deprecated

nnpfs_node.c: In function `nnpfs_iget':
nnpfs_node.c:260: warning: use of cast expressions as lvalues is deprecated
nnpfs_node.c: In function `new_nnpfs_node':
nnpfs_node.c:317: warning: use of cast expressions as lvalues is deprecated

/torkel