setgroups() problem w/ arla module loaded

Steven N. Hirsch shirsch at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 23 13:43:44 CEST 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Harald Barth wrote:

> I don't know if /lib/modules/2.6.5-7.75/source is a new SuSE-ism or just plain
> broken.

I'd bet on broken.  Too many things have problems with whatever it is
they're trying to do.

> > Brief aside:  Perhaps I'm just too dense, but I've never had any luck
> > getting the Heimdal tools to authenticate with AFS.  I've been using
> > 'klog' from the OpenAFS RPMs supplied by SuSE.
>
> Both should work. If you use kerberos tickets you can obtain your ticket
> whatever way and then put the token into the kernel with heimdal's afslog.
>
> You got pag and tokens like I have?

No, apparently not:

hirsch at monarch:~> tokens

Tokens held by the Cache Manager:

User's (AFS ID 600) tokens for afs at pii.fast.net [Expires Jun 24 09:01]
   --End of list--

hirsch at monarch:~> klist -T
klist: No ticket file: /tmp/krb5cc_600

Jun 23 07:34:58  Jun 24 09:01:19  User's (AFS ID 600) tokens for pii.fast.net

Neither my cell nor my employers use on-disk credentials.  Is there a way
to make the heimdal tools work with "vanilla" AFS authentication?

> > - I then applied the syscall patch from the source RPM to 0.36.1 and
> > rebuilt that source tree.  Once installed, all was well again.  With the
> > SMP module I'm able to access both my own cell and my employers.  I'm
> > using dynroot, which seems fine.
>
> Hm, now I'm not sure what source you ended up with, probably different
> from what I tested ;-)

Perhaps..  I will fix the SuSE kernel install and try building the RPM
again.

> > Took a while to figure out the AliasDB file (found by grepping the
> > sources).  Would it be possible to adopt the same file naming as OpenAFS?
> > They call this CellAlias, FWIW.
>
> I have no idea as you are the first person I hear of using this feature
> in an Arla client.

Really?  All I can say is that it gets tiring typing out the full cell
name every time <g>.

Thanks for your continued help and advice!

Steve