setgroups() problem w/ arla module loaded

Harald Barth haba at pdc.kth.se
Tue Jun 22 23:41:16 CEST 2004

> Actually, it does not have prebuilt modules for the 2.6.5-7* kernels. Not
> a big deal, since I can build them myself...

Good. With which kernel(s) have you tested the nnpfs module? SMP?

> $ iozone auto
> in an AFS volume.

Will do.

> You are still ahead of the OpenAFS folks.

It's not a competition. Some friendly competition is good for the
business, isn't it? ;-)

> Although I'm told they and the Linux kernel developers have made
> peace, there still is nothing usable available for the 2.6 kernels.

I don't know for sure, but I have the feeling that some of the leading
names in the kernel development team do not quite understand what this
AFS thing is all about.

> Your solution for managing PAGs seems quite simple. Is there some
> reason that hooking the syscall wouldn't work for OpenAFS?

The syscall hooking solution is not something that will work forever,
but today the syscall interface is the one that is used by all the
utilities. We are currently working on a /proc alternative but there
are other operating systems which need the developers attention.
Before a /proc solution can be reality in a prodcution environment,
compatible changes must be made in OpenAFS, Arla, Heimdal, MIT-krb,
PAM and maybe more packages.

Harald.