arla-0.38

Tomas Olsson tol at stacken.kth.se
Sun Dec 26 16:12:31 CET 2004

Love <lha at stacken.kth.se> writes:

> Changes in release 0.38:

I should probably mention that on Linux, the in-kernel hash table for cache
nodes is now smaller by default. This keeps our memory footprint down, but
may result in a slight performance penalty if you frequently work with
large numbers of AFS files. The update-disk script used at KTH is one
example where this may matter.

To examine what your hash table looks like (on Linux), just do
# /usr/arla/bin/fs nnpfsprint nodes
# tail /var/log/messages
[...]
Dec 26 16:02:21 yalla kernel: nnodes: 3370
Dec 26 16:02:21 yalla kernel: counted nodes: 3370 used, 3370 total
Dec 26 16:02:21 yalla kernel: buckets: 1009, empty: 13, maxlength: 8

We'll probably make this more dynamic some time in the future, but until
then, any feedback on what your usage pattens look like is welcome.

thanks
        /Tomas