linux 2.4.20 won't load 0.35.12's xfs.o

Harald Barth haba at pdc.kth.se
Mon May 19 20:11:57 CEST 2003

> But startarla can't insmod:
> /usr/arla/bin/xfs.o: unresolved symbol sys_call_table
> /usr/arla/bin/xfs.o: unresolved symbol get_empty_inode

The kernel you are using hasn't sys_call_table exported.

There are three solutions to that problem:

      1. Use a version of OpenAFS or Arla that finds the
      sys_call_table anyway. If you want to run Arla, you
      must run one of the snapshots as there is no official
      0.36 release yet. I am happy with the 0.36 snapshot,
      others seem to be less. In Arla the code to find the
      syscall anyway is in nnpfs/linux/nnpfs_syscalls-lossage.c

      2. Use a kernel.org 2.4 kernel which has sys_call_table
         exported.

      3. Patch the export back into the RH kernel and build it
      yourself.

The discussion if sys_call_table should be exported or not is a
completely different one. See for example the OpenAFS and Linux
kernel mail list archives.

Harald.