Arla 0.35.11, Mac OS X 10.2.4, Afslog.app, aklog

Troy Goodson Troy.D.Goodson at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 5 17:49:06 CET 2003

I installed Arla 0.35.11 on my OS X 10.2.4, but now I can't figure out
how to authenticate.  I was almost able to authenticate in previous
versions with klog.  My problem then was I couldn't do "klog tgoodson"
as that argument was not accepted by arla's klog ( my afs username is
tgoodson, my OS X username is tdg)

Here's what I've done:

1) I installed Arla
2) edited my /usr/arla/etc/ThisCell to contain "jpl.nasa.gov" (no
quotes, of course).
3) I restarted my machine
4) ran ArlaConfiguration.app
   clicked the lock, entered my admin password
   checked "Start Arla ot boot"
   when to the "Cell Setup" tab, checked "Auth" and "Show" next to
jpl.nasa.gov
   back on the "General" tab, I clicked "Start"
   I see an "afs" volume on my desktop
   I see an /afs/jpl.nasa.gov/ path mounted from the command line
5) I ran Afslog.app
    I see a window with 3 columns "Cell" "Status" "Expire in"
    nothing is listed in the columns
    there is a status bar in the lower left with stripes that aren't
moving
    I clicked the Authenticate button
    -- the strips moved for a brief moment, nothing else happened
6) I rebooted and repeated step 5 with the same results.
7) In Terminal.app ...
[goodson-1:~] tdg% /usr/arla/bin/aklog
/usr/arla/bin/aklog: Failed getting tokens for cell jpl.nasa.gov.
[goodson-1:~] tdg% /usr/arla/bin/aklog tgoodson
/usr/arla/bin/aklog: Couldn't get AFS ID for tdg at jpl.nasa.gov@tgoodson,
using 501 from /etc/passwd
/usr/arla/bin/aklog: Failed getting tokens for cell tgoodson.
8) I tried rxdebug...
    I read the FAQ, <http://www.stacken.kth.se/projekt/arla/faq.html#q7>
    [goodson-1:~] tdg% /usr/arla/bin/rxdebug -version my-kaserver
Usage: rxdebug -servers <string> [-port <string>] [-nodally]
[-allconnections] [-rxstats] [-onlyserver] [-onlyclient] [-onlyport
[-noconns]
   [goodson-1:~] tdg% /usr/arla/bin/rxdebug -version
Usage: rxdebug -servers <string> [-port <string>] [-nodally]
[-allconnections] [-rxstats] [-onlyserver] [-onlyclient] [-onlyport
[-noconns]
    I don't know what rxdebug really does and I can't figure out how to
use it!
9) I tried kinit
[goodson-1:~] tdg% kinit --afslog tgoodson
kinit: Unable to create principal for 'tgoodson': Configuration file
does not specify default realm
[goodson-1:~] tdg% kinit --afslog
kinit: Unable to create principal for current user: Configuration file
does not specify default realm

Questions:

How do I specify my username with aklog?

How do I use Afslog?

If I should use "kinit --afslog", where do I specify the default realm?
I don't seem to have /etc/realms.conf or /etc/krb.conf