AFS and changing local UIDs

Harald Barth haba at pdc.kth.se
Thu Jul 31 00:45:01 CEST 2003

> Basically I'm wondering if taking time to both change the UID AND chown
> every file is worth the time (and it can sometimes take a long time).

As usual: This depends on what is the bigger pain in your particular
situation.

> It seems like Finder will eventually figure out that it can write to
> AFS space, but would it figure this out faster if the UIDs matched?

I don't know enough about the Finder to answer this one.

> Also, by not using a unix standard like access() are they really
> cutting any corners?

If you make assumptions when dealing with your own file system code that
would be OK, but not using access() on other's file systems (like AFS
or NFS) is inviting trouble.

Harald.