AFS and changing local UIDs

Harald Barth haba at pdc.kth.se
Tue Jul 29 12:18:39 CEST 2003

> What exactly is the problem that makes it "suggested" to change UIDs? Is it a
> security issue or is it just an issue with the Finder's interaction with AFS?

Finder tries to be smart and uses the result of uid+permission bits
instead of access(2) to figure out if it should display stuff. If you
have a mismatch the finder's guess is wrong most of the time, if you
have a match it is right most of the time. It would be better if the
folks who did the finder would do the right thing instead trying to
save time for one syscall.

Others that can be confused by a mismatch are users. I don't think
there are any security issues - AFS does not use the uid for any
security related checks.

Harald.