Installation problems on linux/debian

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Tue Feb 25 13:23:37 CET 2003

Hello,

I'm trying to get arla going on my laptop, and I'm having some trouble
getting the xfs device to work.

I'm running debian gnu/linux, using a 2.4.18 kernel. I've tried both
the debian package arla-modules-source and arla-0.35.11, with the same
problem. I configure arla, then go into the xfs/linux directory and
build xfs.o. (I copy the file into my modules tree, and add a line
alias char-major-103 xfs into modules.conf, and run depmod -a.

I have a node /dev/xfs0 in the filesystem, and I have checked that
opening that node automatically loads the xfs module into the kernel.
But the open still fails with "No such device". Starting the arla
deamon (currently installed from the arla package, not from source)
fails for the same reason.

Basically, I have the xfs module loaded into the kernel (it's listed
in /proc/modules), but I don't see it in /proc/devices, there's no
entry for char major 103. So initialization must have failed somehow.

I'm not terribly familiar with linix kernel hacking, so I suspect I'm
doing something stupid.

Regards,
/Niels