AFS access permissions and OSX interaction

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Aug 20 20:48:48 CEST 2003

At 7:04 AM -0600 8/20/03, nepywoda at fnal.gov wrote:
> [...]

If two (different?) users have the same UID then the OS thinks they
are the same user and they can hack each other to bits.  They still
can't touch anyone else with different UIDs.  This is just Unix, it's
got nothing to do with AFS.  In fact I generally have a toor account
defined on my machines with UID 0 so I can get root access with the
shell I want.

My point is that if you have two different users with the same UID
then they share the same AFS tokens (in addition to all other
permissions) unless they are in different PAGs.  Kerberos 5 will try
to associate tickets with login sessions, but the user can still go
get the other session's ticket if he wants (except on MacOS X).

I'm guessing, but I think the intent of the original question was
could you just create a local group account and hand it out?  Each
actual user would then klog to his actual AFS account and go from
there.  The answer is that this is a "bad idea" (TM).

If, on the other hand, each user has a different UID which has no
relation to the AFS UID then you're fine.  The only problem is
confusion.  You don't even have a problem if a local UID happens to
match up with an AFS UID.
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu