AFS access permissions and OSX interaction

Tino Schwarze tino.schwarze at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Aug 18 18:07:18 CEST 2003

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 09:34:19AM -0600, nepywoda at fnal.gov wrote:
> Earlier I posted to the list about changing the local UID to match the
> AFS UID in Mac OSX. Some people suggest doing this, but I've never
> come across the true reason behind it. What I'm wondering is, if 2
> people have the same local UID, say 501, different AFS UIDs, and login
> at the same time...can person 1 fool AFS into thinking it owns person
> 2's files? This seems like a huge security issue to me, so I doubt
> that would be the case.

AFS always looks at the AFS UID, never at the local UID. At least, it
should not. *g*

> Does anyone have any definite info about why we should change the
> local uid and the local file uids to match the AFS uid?

It's primarily of cosmetic nature - you get real user names with "ls -l"
(and probably in Finder too). So you actually know who created the file
and don't have to guess who is user "1377".

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/