FreeBSD 4.6.2 fake-mp + dynroot oddity

Nickolai Zeldovich kolya at mit.edu
Sat Sep 14 07:15:56 CEST 2002

I was curious about fake-mp and dynroot support in arla, and enabled
both features on my FreeBSD 4.6.2 machine.  It seems to have some odd
behavior:

  orbit/afs> fs lsm sipb.mit.edu
  'sipb.mit.edu' is a mount point for volume '#sipb.mit.edu:root.cell'
  orbit/afs> ls -ld sipb.mit.edu
  lrw-r--r--  100 root  wheel  24 Dec 31  1969 sipb.mit.edu ->
  orbit/afs> cd sipb.mit.edu
  sipb.mit.edu: File name too long.
  orbit/afs> fs flushv sipb.mit.edu
  orbit/afs> ls -ld sipb.mit.edu
  cdrwxrwxrwx  2 root  wheel  2048 Oct 12  1994 sipb.mit.edu
  orbit/afs> cd sipb.mit.edu
  orbit/afs/sipb.mit.edu>

Interestingly enough, enabling dynroot only doesn't produce this bug,
and enabling fake-mp only doesn't produce it either (the mountpoints
in /afs look fake, but they are VDIR rather than VLNK).  This is the
0.35.x branch from CVS as of a few days ago (rxdebug says 0.35.10pre4).

-- kolya