Problems running arla on mac

RD Schaffer R.D.Schaffer at cern.ch
Fri Dec 13 13:46:08 CET 2002

Hi there,

   Thanks much for your quick response. I haven't had nearly the same
response from OpenAFS on my gcc problem!

On Friday, Dec 13, 2002, at 12:15 Europe/Paris, Love wrote:

> RD Schaffer <R.D.Schaffer at cern.ch> writes:
>
>> Some background: I have been running fine with OpenAFS. That is until
>> I discovered that OpenAFS has problems compiling files on afs with gcc
>> -
>> the compiler runs off the end of the files and complains about unknown
>> characters.
>
> I know what the problem is with OpenAFS, just send a mail to
> openafs-bugs at openafs.org and told them what they need to fix.

I didn't see this mailing list on the ones available from their site. I
did get a response from openafs-info explaining that this is a problem
of mmap and zeroing out the memory block at the end of the file.

Does this mean you sent in the bug report? If so, thanks.

>> I have recently downloaded the arla-0.35.11 binaries. They install
>> fine. When I start ArlaConfiguration I do get a warning box: "The
>> program you are using needs to use a system file that may reduce the
>> security of your computer" and refers to "xfs.kext" It says I should
>> contact the provider and get a new version. I have the options to
>> "use" or "fix and use". I have tried both. This does start the afs
>> deamon alright. I have set up for two cells I use and changed
>> ThisCell.
>
> Ok, seems good,. I think someone told me how to remove the error, but I
> can't remember that now.
>
>> Now to get a token, I see in /usr/arla/bin only aklog. There used to
>> be a kalog with arla-0.35.10, but not with this new version. aklog
>> doesn't work for me, e.g.
>
> Do cern use kerberos 5 yet ? If they do you can use the Afslog.app and
> Kerberos Extras.

No CERN is still using kerberos 4.

>> I can get a token using klog from OpenAFS:
>
> We are trying to kill aklog and klog. That kalog is missing seems to
> be a
> mistake when I built the binary package, or its that Mac MIT kerberos
> is
> missing the tf functions. Oh, well, I will fix that to next release.
>
>> So this looks fine. Now my problem is that I don't seem to be able to
>> cd into the afs directories. For example:
>>
>> [mac-88165] ~ % cd /afs/cern.ch
>>
>> [mac-88165] cern.ch % ls
>> afs     asis    chorus  compass eng     jetset  na38    na49    nomad
>> project rd44    sw      user    wa98
>> aleph   atlas   cms     cplear  exp     l3      na44    na50    opal
>> ps205   rd45    system  usr
>> alice   chic    common  delphi  group   lhcb    na48    na60    phys
>> pttools spy     ubackup w3.org
>>
>> [mac-88165] cern.ch % cd atlas
>> cd: network is down: atlas
>
> Does this work w/o tokens ? I'm asking since it works for me on my
> iBook.

I cannot test this exactly at the moment because I reloaded OpenAFS
because I need a working version to get my work done. However, I am
willing to try arla again if we get to the point where we are figuring
out what's wrong.

I suspect, though, that this does work without tokens because:

[mac-88165] ~ % fs la /afs/cern.ch
Access list for /afs/cern.ch is
Normal rights:
   system:administrators rlidwka
   system:anyuser rl

[mac-88165] ~ % fs la /afs/cern.ch/atlas
Access list for /afs/cern.ch/atlas is
Normal rights:
   zp:administrator rlidwka
   system:administrators rlidwka
   system:anyuser l

so anyuser should be able to cd into cern.ch and only ls atlas but not
cd.

> If you use tha kalog from 0.35.10, does it work for you then ?

Note that there may be a difference between iBook (G3) and Powerbook
(G4). I did install 0.35.10 on an iBook I have at home, again on top of
OpenAFS, and arla works just fine using klog from OpenAFS. On my
Powerbook, though, I have gotten arla to work only:

  - after having deleted /afs, /Network/afs
  - using 0.35.10 kalog
  - physically within the cern network - I was there earlier this week

I thought that the first two conditions was sufficient. I didn't think
that the 3rd meant anything, but I haven't succeeded in getting things
to work since I'm back in Orsay outside Paris.

I have done "rm -fr" for the arla areas and have reloaded 0.35.10, but
the kalog didn't seem to run for other reasons. So I can only try klog
from OpenAFS.

Should I try to build arla from the sources?

If you think we can get to the bottom of this, I can reboot and try
something out. (I am trying to build our software in afs, but cannot
until arla or OpenAFS works.)

Note, that I do have a colleague at cern who is working fine with
Powerbook g4 and 0.35.10/.11.

thanks in any case,  RD

Email:    R.D.Schaffer at cern.ch
Address:  LAL BAT 200        tel(Orsay): 33-1 64 46 8378
                   BP 34                     tel(cern) : 41-22 76 71267
                  91898 ORSAY
                  France