arla + KfM + cmu's krbafs = no joy :-(

Sandor W. Sklar ssklar at stanford.edu
Fri Oct 12 21:45:39 CEST 2001

That's great news ... a couple of questions, though:

(1) When you say "hand your patches back to the openafs folks", do
you mean the maintaner of the cmu krbafs library, or the openafs
folks and the arla folks (I mean, where is the code that needs to be
patched?)

(2) My ultimate hope in all of this is to:

   (a) allow people to use the kerberos login authenticator to log
into a Mac OS X system; when they sucessfully login, they will have a
kerberos ticket that both allows them to use kerberos-aware
application (i.e., Eudora, Fetch) and to have an afs token enabling
them to use their home directory, which would be located in
afs-space, and ...

   (b)  allow people to login via local authentication, then use the
kerberos application to obtain their ticket (and, optionally an afs
token at the same time), giving them the ability to use afs with
authentication.

   (c)  allow people to use their "gui"-obtained ticket to also use
CLI kerberos-aware tools (i.e., telnet, klogin, etc.)

Do these hopes seem to be in line with the direction of development
on KfM with Arla or OpenAFS?  (I realize that the patch you describe
below won't provide all of the above.)

Thanks, --Sandy

At 1:57 PM -0400 10/12/01, Alexandra Ellwood wrote:
>>At 1:48 AM +0200 10/11/01, Magnus Ahltorp wrote:
>>
>>>It should work if you install krbafs from cmu (URL in the README). The
>>>MIT Kerberos does not have the kafs library, which is needed for arla.
>>
>>Magnus (and other "drinkers") ...
>>
>>Can anyone give me a hint on getting the krbafs library compiled on
>>10.1?  Here are the steps I've tried, and their results ...
>
>I am right now in the middle of working on a version of krbafs which
>configures and builds correctly on Mac OS X 10.1.
>
>There are a few changes which need to be made because KfM defines
>several functions such as afs_string_to_key() which krbafs also
>tries to define.  I'm adding autoconf checks to work around this.
>There are also a few problems due to bugs in the unix compatibility
>libraries in 10.1 and differences in header file locations.
>
>As soon as I'm done, I'm going to hand my patches back to the
>openafs folks.  At that point I will set up a web page with build
>instructions for Mac OS X 10.1, and I will send mail to this list
>with a pointer.
>

>Hope this helps,
>
>--lxs
>--
>Alexandra Ellwood                                               <lxs at mit.edu>
>MIT Kerberos for Macintosh Team                       http://mit.edu/lxs/www/
>--

sandor w. sklar                |    Non impediti
unix systems administrator     |         ratione
stanford university itss-css   |    cogitationis