Questions on kerb 4 vice kerb 5

Ted Anderson ota at transarc.com
Tue Nov 20 16:35:31 CET 2001

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:08:28 -0800 "Henry B. Hotz" <hotz at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> As I understand it there are 3 possibly relevant wire protocols:
> 	rx	the native AFS authentication, closely related to k4
> 	k4	supported by the AFS kaserver with a non-standard string-to-key
> 	k5	¿usable? by AFS with non-standard authentication tools
> rx and k4 both suffer the same well-known replay vulnerability.
> Could I close both of them off with a firewall and still get
> everything I need using only k5?

I am not quite sure what you mean by the weel-known reply vulnerability,
but the Rx and K4 authentication (TGT) protocols do have an important
difference.  The Rx protocol's request requires a timestamp to be
encrypted with the user's password.  This means that the kaserver can
reject bogus requests and those more than a few (15?) minutes old.  This
solves the problem of the K4 protocol in giving out "free" samples of
ciphertext.

Is this the weakness you mean?

Ted Anderson