Questions on kerb 4 vice kerb 5

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Nov 14 20:50:13 CET 2001

OK, I know Arla has some tools that will get tokens directly with
kerberos 4 instead of the funny AFS protocol that klog uses.  In both
cases I think we are still vulnerable to the well-known kerberos 4
replay attacks.

If we trash the Transarc kaserver and use a kerberos 5 server instead
then does that really solve the problem?  Can I use something like
aklog and get an AFS token that works without ever using any
vulnerable protocol?

Presuming the last is a yes, can you do the same thing with OpenAFS
or a real Transarc thingy?
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu